Do you have those bananas lying on your dining table for a long time now? Why throw them in the bin when you can create the Starbucks kind of a super yummy and moist banana walnut cake using this simple recipe. To add to that, the recipe is eggless – so you don’t have to get your hands dirty with all the eggs.
Go ahead! Hit the kitchen now with this step-by-step recipe for the most awesome, eggless banana walnut cake.
Preparation time: 35-40 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cup well-mashed bananas
- ½ cup thick curd
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup coarsely ground walnuts and pecans (can be increased if you are a more nutty person)
- 2 tbsp milk
- A spatula
- A cake pan/mold
- A small knife
- Sieve the whole wheat, corn flour, cinnamon powder, and salt together. Sieve it at least 5-6 times and keep it aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas, curd, and baking soda together with a spatula and keep it aside. It will begin to froth in 5 minute – this is when it is ready for use.
- Meanwhile, beat the oil and sugar until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence to this and beat again.
- Mix the batter of step 2 to this mixture until the mixture is uniform.
- Now, fold in two batches the dry and sieved ingredients of step 1. Mix this gently and remember to not mix this too much.
- Finally, add the milk.
- Add one spoon of flour to the nuts and mix this well. This ensures that the nuts do not settle at the bottom of the cake. Keep aside a few nuts to sprinkle on top of the cake. Add the rest of the nuts to the batter.
- Pour this entire batter into a loaf-shaped cake pan.
- Finally, sprinkle the leftover nuts on top of the batter in the cake pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 degrees for about 10 minutes. It is recommended that you preheat the oven when you are mixing the ingredients so that the oven is ready when you are done with the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Do the knife test – insert a small knife into the center of the cake; it should come out clean. There should not be any streaks of batter on it.
- Use a knife to remove the sides of the cake from the mold, reverse the mold and give gentle taps on sides and top for the cake to come out easily.
- Cool it and soak in the flavors with a cup of hot coffee!
Tips to remember:
- Sifting the dry ingredients for a few times is important. This process helps to mix all the dry ingredients evenly so that the cake is evenly baked. Also, it helps take to off any lumps in the flour.
- Do remember to dust the nuts with flour so that they do not settle at the bottom of the cake while baking.
How did the recipe work for you? Didn’t the aroma of the cake fill in the entire kitchen? Let us know.