The beauty and cosmetic products cost the earth significantly. The damaging chemicals, plastic bottles, and microbeads, used in such products affect the environment very drastically. Most of us are not even aware of the amount of plastic waste created by our beauty products.
Sustainable Living Includes Skin and Beauty
There is an increasing need to shift to a zero-waste existence. Many of us are afraid of taking even the first step since going zero waste sounds like a big thing. Many people expect multiple life changes. But the truth is there is no need to turn your world upside down to go zero waste. All that’s needed is just minor shifts in your day to day activities.
Making your beauty regime environment-friendly is unbelievably simple, and so much more cost-effective than you would have guessed. Doing this will make you kinder to the air, the water, the soil, the many animals on whom beauty products are tested and, obviously, your fellow human beings. Here’s a look at some of the easiest tricks to go sustainable and planet-friendly!
Changes to Storage and Packaging to go Planet-Friendly
- Consider shifting to a bar of soap and shampoo. They last much longer and use far less packaging too, hence reducing the plastic and other waste.
- If you use the same shampoo and conditioner in terms of brand, then consider purchasing a jumbo-size bottle. Larger packs tend to be cheaper and also reduce plastic.
- Switch to eyeglasses rather than lenses. Lenses lead to double plastic waste.
- Look for products packaged in glass jars and wooden cases. Plastic is the most preferred packaging material due to the long shelf life and ease of storage. But glass jars and bottles are just as good for elongating shelf life as long as sealed well.
- To lengthen shelf life and better utilize your products, follow the proper storage instructions. This will reduce the wastage created in discarding unused or half-used products.
- Take better care of your skin. The more cared for your skin, the lesser the need for makeup!
Changes in Products to go Planet-Friendly
- When buying a sunscreen, check the ingredients. Shift to one that doesn’t use Oxybenzone. This ingredient has been scientifically proven to be deadly for coral reefs. Instead, use a sunscreen that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Listen to grandma and use home remedies and homemade products. These will save you money and your planet.
- Choose products that serve multiple purposes. Most beauty and skincare products contain micro-plastics which are deadly for humans and the planet. So when you buy products that can be used to meet multiple ends, you’re reducing the amount of micro-plastic you add to the planet.
- Switch to the formulas packed in a plastic-neutral, recycled bottle. Most of these contain 20% reclaimed oceanic plastic. Another alternative is to opt for containers made from sugarcane. These are entirely biodegradable.
- Add ethically sourced, vegetarian and anti-animal testing brands to your closet. Animal testing is not just painful for the poor helpless creature, it also contributes to the environmental damage caused in the process of rearing animals for testing and consumption.
- Use cosmetics that are free from harmful chemicals, parabens, and microbeads to save the bees. Bees play a huge role in the ecosystem and there is an urgent need to keep them safe.
- Include makeup and toothbrush made of bamboo. For toothpaste, look for those made with clay, baking soda, sea salt, and antibacterial essential oils.
- Use makeup remover cloths made of polyester. These are a better option than single-use cotton since it dries faster and is reusable.
It’s time to join the movement of environmentally friendly green beauty regimes. The aim is to take small steps. It’s far easier to reduce than you would think. The smallest things like implementing changes to your soap and toothpaste. Be aware, practical and sensible. This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are endless ways to reduce and reuse.
The biggest tip? If it can’t be reused, then refuse it, folks!