We tend to spend a lot of time worrying about pollution. Pollution in our cities, water-borne diseases due to this pollution and how it is likely to affect a healthy life. It is often said that a safe, good and secure home is among the most important things for any human being. Surprisingly, our homes can be a festering pool of health issues. There can be a large number of impurities present in the air in our homes.
It is extremely important to keep our indoor atmosphere clean and pollution-free. We spend most of our living time here and so breathing unhealthy air can affect our health adversely. There are many reasons which can dirty the air we breathe indoor.
Things that Causes Indoor Pollution
Contrary to popular beliefs, the air in our homes can be much more polluted than the air outside. This can be worse if the indoor space heavily uses certain home devices. Most of us spend a lot of money on decorating and organizing our homes and our office space. We keep daily use machines like air conditioners, heaters, room fresheners, etc, for our comfort. But these can increase air pollution in our indoor atmosphere.
Surprisingly, a close door room tends to hold the air which is five times as contaminated as the air outdoors in most populous cities. Activity as simple as moving and shifting of things can disturb the dust particles. Here are some points to highlight pollution sources.
- Central Air conditioning and heating require airtight spaces and negatively affect the air quality inside the rooms.
- It is believed that poor ventilation is responsible for almost 60% of air quality, especially when it comes to living spaces and the workplace.
- A major source of indoor pollution is cooking.
- Scrubbing, dusting and domestic chemical cleaners also cause pollution.
- Upholstery and furnishing can also contribute to air pollution by holding onto particles.
- Usage of deodorants, perfume, and fumes from dry cleaned garments are another common cause of pollution.
- The smell of ink, glue, and paint is another surprising source of indoor pollution.
- Renovation and restoration release fibers that mix with the indoor air.
All these factors, collectively and individually, are responsible for indoor pollution. Carbon dioxide and other unsafe fumes have an enduring effect on health if not paid adequate attention.
How to Purify Air Inside Our Living Place
Indoor pollution is one that affects and harms all bodily systems. It not only affects our respiratory system but also causes various types of cancer. It is difficult to embrace lifestyle changes to minimize the risks of air pollution. Here are some things you can do to reduce indoor pollution.
- Plants reduce poisonous impurities like formaldehyde and benzene from the environment.
- Terrace and window gardens provide fresh air and also eliminate the impurities of the air.
- Proper ventilation of the home should be done at regular intervals.
- A kitchen garden is a multipurpose trick. Not only will give you organic food and will also reduce the pollution in and around your home.
- Restrict the use of electronic machines in the house. Switching off AC, light, and fans, when not in use will not only control the expenses but keep impure air from spreading further.
- Replace plastic items with 100% organic recycled products.
- Avoid smoking indoors. Not only does it cause pollution, but passive smoking by those around you also poses a higher risk than active smoking.
- Reduce the use of perfume, deodorant, and scented candles.
- Limit the use of mosquito repellents, incense sticks, and artificial fragrances.
- Carpets and rugs can be removed since they trap dust particles. Alternatively, air them regularly to make sure they get plenty of sunlight.
- Shoes should be removed before stepping the house or kept in a closed shoe rack.
- Check for water leaks and humidity to avoid mold and fungus growth.
A healthy life starts at home. These tricks will help you live longer and healthier. They even save quite many expenses. So bring some fresh air, albeit clean one into your houses with these simple tricks.